Green on green on green is my mantra for summer!
This time of year there is always an abundance of herbs growing our gardens. Sometimes it is hard to know what to do with them all! If your anything like me, a self-proclaimed thrifty and frugal green goddess, you do whatever you can not to waste natures harvest.
This recipe is a flavorful spin on the traditional pesto and is the perfect blend of different herbs that allows you to make the most out of your abundance. Try it out. Trust me…your taste buds will thank you and your guests will be begging for the recipe!
- 3/4 Cup Soaked Sunflower or Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 Cup Basil
- 1 Cup (or a large handful*) Mint
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro or Parsley
- 2 Garlic Scapes or 2 Cloves of Garlic
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Thumb Sized Piece of Grated Ginger
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar (unpasteurized)
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender (I prefer my Vitamix but if I’m being honest I should tell you that as a starving student I have done surprising things in a coffee grinder! Just remember to wipe it out well after each use).
- Blend until smooth, scraping down sides regularly until mixture is a smooth consistency.
- Add this to your fave pasta dish, spread it on sandwiches or avocado toast, or even use it as a garnish for crackers and cheese instead of a sugar laden spicy jam or jelly!
Basil contains volatile oils that help to relax the smooth muscles of the intestines responsible for moving food through our digestive tract.
Mint has a beautiful flavor and is cooling internally for our bodies which is helpful during these hot summer days.
Cilantro and Parsley act as heavy metal chelators in our system and help to draw toxins out of our bodies.
Garlic, contains a component called Allicin, which has antibacterial properties and helps to boost our immune function and prevent overgrowth of harmful bacteria in our gut. Say good bye to the summer cold for good!
As a newbie blogger, I am here to let you know we are not alone in our struggles, challenges or successes. Everyone has a story. Regardless of setbacks we are powerful human beings, capable of achieving greatness. So may we rise up, and walk this road together.
Latest posts by Katie Israelson (see all)
- Collard Green Taco Party (With Beluga Lentils and Baked Chili Yams) - February 7, 2016
- This “Mango Chicken Curry” could help keep your chronic inflammation at bay… - February 3, 2016
- Naturally Heal Your Gut With This Chili Black Bean Soup - January 16, 2016