Here are directions for how to perform a home enema:
1. Gather Supplies Needed
- A Clean Enema Kit (We prefer a clear enema bucket, but a standard bag is fine too)
- One liter of purified, body temperature water
- 1 – 2 large towels and a pillow for comfort
- 1 tsp of coconut oil (pure almond and olive oil are okay too)
2. Lay one towel on the floor inside or just outside of your private bathroom. Place the pillow under where your head will be and have the extra towel ready for warmth or comfort as needed.
3. Assemble the Enema Kit as per the instructions that come with it. Place or hang the enema bucket / bag approximately 2 – 3 feet from where you’ll be lying.
4. Ensure that the valve of the enema kit is closed and pour approximately 1 liter of purified, body temperature water into the bucket / bag
5. Use the Coconut Oil to lubricate your anus and the first couple inches of the enema insertion tube
6. Hold the insertion tube over the sink, toilet, or bathtub and release the water slowly out through the tube, ensuring that water is flowing. Once you are sure the water is flowing, close the valve back up stopping the water flow temporarily.
7. Lie on your left side with your knees drawn toward your chest and gently insert the tube about 2 – 3 inches inside your anus. If you feel resistance you should stop, readjust the insertion angle and continue the insertion.
8. Release the valve on the insertion tube and allow the water to slowly flow into your rectum. If you feel the need to evacuate immediately, slow down the water flow with the valve. After you have taken as much water as you can, remove the insertion tube, turn onto your back and remain comfortably on the floor until you feel the increased need to release. You may gently massage your abdomen if you choose. Ideally, you will hold for 10 – 15 minutes.
9. When you feel the need to release, move to evacuate on the toilet. Raise your arms above your head and gently twist your torso to promote evacuation. It is recommended to have your feet slightly elevated from the floor on a stool to achieve the optimal evacuation position.
10. Clean your enema kit with warm water & soap (or use vinegar to disinfect) and allow it to air-dry. Store somewhere sanitary for the next use!