It’s no secret that I really love chocolate. The less processed variety of cocoa, referred to as ‘raw cocao’, is actually an extremely healthy superfood and ridiculously high in antioxidants! Like anything else, you want to try to maintain a balanced intake and do your best not to overindulge. Raw cocao contains theobromine, which has stimulating effects, and therefore some people may find they cannot consume it too close to bedtime (or at all depending on their current state). If you find you have trouble with the simulating aspect of cocao, feel free to use carob powder in this smoothie instead! You may need to add an extra date or 2 depending on how sweet you like it!
Raw Cocao is a perfect superfood to add to a pre or post workout smoothie. The recipe below is definitely a favorite and I’m sure you’ll enjoy.
Check out the video at the bottom for a live demo of how I like to make this recipe and some fun facts about the ingredients!
- 2 Cups Almond Milk
- 1 Ripe Banana
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Mint)
- 2 Medjool Dates, pitted
- 1/2 Cup Frozen Blueberries
- 1 Tbsp Raw Cocao
- 1 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1 – 1.5 tsp Vanilla Powder
- 1 Tbsp Sprouted Brown Rice Powder (Garden Of Life or Sunwarrior are great!)
1. Blend all ingredients until well combined. Enjoy!
Latest posts by Krystal Vrba (see all)
- Free Health Challenge: 30 Days Of Healthy Habits! - September 28, 2017
- Improve Your Liver Function with these 7 Easy Steps! - April 24, 2017
- Bloated Belly? Here’s how to get rid of Gas and Bloating Fast. - May 30, 2016